Fenugreek is one of the oldest, inexpensive and a safest herbal health supplement. It is popular in countries like Egypt, China and India. These seeds have a bitter taste and have pleasant taste when cooked. The leaves are also used in cooking. Their seeds also have a number of minerals, anti-oxidants and vitamins. Therefore helps to regulate blood sugar, protect against heart diseases, lower cholesterol levels, blood pressure, optimize digestion, protect the immune system, and soothe the respiratory system.
In 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds contain 35.5 calories.
- 6.4 grams carbohydrates
- 2.5 grams protein
- 0.7 gram fat
- 2.7 grams fiber
- 3.7 milligrams iron
- 32.6 milligrams phosphorus
- 0.1 milligram manganese
- 0.1 milligram copper
- 21 milligrams magnesium
- 0.1 milligram vitamin B6
Fenugreek Health Benefits
1. Hair growth
Fenugreek helps hair growth, improves hair complexion and reduces dandruff. It is the protein and nicotinic acid to help fight balding. Protein rebuilds and strengthens the hair shaft. It is also found to contain lecithin, which is a natural emollient that moisturizes and strengthens hair. This substance is in fact found in hair care products to give hair luster, health, length, and shine.
Soak a bunch of fenugreek seeds in virgin coconut oil and allow settling overnight. In the morning, mix self-made hair growth tonic, removing the seeds. Apply the coconut oil to scalp and massage for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat the process for a week and see the wonderful results.
2. Reduces Cholesterol
Fenugreek contains saponins that help reduce the body’s absorption of cholesterol from fatty foods. Scientists have proven fenugreek helps to balance blood glucose and cholesterol, and effective for both types of diabetes. It is also benefits a healthy heart function. A recommended remedy for lowering cholesterol is to take 2 tablespoons of seeds throughout the day.
3. Treating Diabetes and Lowering Blood Sugar Levels
An unusual amino acid 4-Hydroxyisoleucine found in fenugreek has possible anti-diabetic properties such as enhancing insulin secretion under hyperglycemic conditions and increasing insulin sensitivity. A recommended home remedy for treating diabetes is to consume 500mg of the seeds twice daily.
4. Eases Indigestion
Fenugreek acts as an acid reflux remedy. This is because the mucilage in their seeds assists in soothing inflammation and protects the stomach and intestinal lining. Therefore, for an effective remedy against is to take one teaspoon of seeds and swallow them with water or juice before any meal.
5. Treating Skin Inflammation
Fenugreek is an effective treatment for skin problems such as abscesses, boils, burns, eczema, and gout. Take a spoonful of fenugreek and grind it into a paste with warm water.Take a simple piece of clean cloth and soak it into the mixture. Apply the soaked cloth directly onto the affected skin.
6. Helps with Weight Loss
Fenugreek complements diet for weight loss. Aids weight loss by suppressing appetite, increasing energy and potentially modulating carbohydrate metabolism.
7. Treating fever
Fenugreek has been known to help reduce fever and nourishes the body during an illness. Therefore, to treat a fever, simply consume one to two teaspoons of these seeds three times a day along with an herbal tea with a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice.
8. Minimizes cramps
Due to estrogen-like properties, it has been found to help increase libido and lessen the effect of hot flashes and mood fluctuations that are common symptoms of menopause and PMS. It is also used for the treatment of irregular periods, inducing labor, treating reproductive disorders, breast enlargement, and reducing the menstrual pain.
9. Remedy to Ease Child Birth for Pregnant Women
Fenugreek stimulates uterine contractions and can be helpful to induce childbirth.
10. Remedy to Aid Milk Production in Lactating Women
Fenugreek increases the milk production in lactating women. It is used as galactagogue by nursing mothers to increase inadequate breast milk supply. Research has shown that milk production increases by over 400 percentage within 2 to 3 days after consuming fenugreek. The oil contained in fenugreek seeds plays a role. A recommended remedy to increase milk flow is to consume one tablespoon of the seed, three times a day.
11. Breast Enlargement
Fenugreek helps to balance women’s hormones and enlarge the breasts. A recommended remedy is to consume up to 3 g of fenugreek per day.
How to consume fenugreek seeds?
- Soak it overnight and drink the water with fenugreek in next morning in empty stomach.
- Take one teaspoon of the seeds and swallow them with water in an empty stomach or have them with juice or water before meals.
- Fry the seeds without oil and keep it in a bottle. Take a spoon full with hot water every morning.
- Start with fenugreek seeds and brew in hot water and tea to drink. This gives a refreshing taste and benefits health.
- Consume 1-2 teaspoons of the seeds along with an herbal tea as well.
- Sprout the seeds in a seed sprouted or between moist paper towels and add these sprouts to food. Do not let the sprouts for more than 3 days or it may become bitter.
- Fenugreek use during pregnancy is not recommended, since it has the potential to induce labor. If you are pregnant ,consult with your doctor.
- If you are currently taking any oral medications, you should always use this herb at least 2 hours before or after these drugs.
- Fenugreek is considered to be safe when used moderately, there have been a few minor side-effects like Nausea, Gastrointestinal discomfort.